Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Interview with "Plastic Smiles"

Plastic Smiles is a pop/punk band from Chicago. A great bunch of guys! Here is our interview with them:

How did the band members meet?

   Dave: I met Dominic through a mutual friend. We made plans to see Nick Swardson's movie "Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star" and Dom tagged along. Turns out that he was looking to be in a band so I asked him to be a part of Plastic Smiles. At that time I had already wrote and recorded an EP on my own using the name and he liked the songs so we just built from there. I started talking to Colin on twitter, Officially met him at a Freshmen 15 show we started practicing a few weeks later.  


 Any story behind the band name?

   Dave: I'm a huge fan of the band Alkaline Trio and I took the name from a song of theirs called "San Francisco". It doesn't mean anything I just though it fit with the music I wanted to write.


Who are some of your major influences?

   Dave: Collectively I think its mainly a lot of bands from the late 90's -early 00's: Blink-182, Alkaline Trio, New Found Glory etc.


What inspires you to  write music?

   Dave: I don't really know. I guess it's a bit of a calling. I'm not very good at anything else haha   


What is your favourite song that you have written?

   Dave: Probably "I Hope You Find What You're Looking For" or "Rise & Shine." I'm proud of them all for different reasons.


What do you hope listeners take away from your songs?

   Dave: Since we're a fairly new band and we don't have many expectations I never really thought about it. With the songs I wrote in the past I kinda just wrote them to vent and create something that I would want to listen to. I just want to write catchy pop-punk songs and I hope people can connect with them. Simple as that.


How can people get a hold of your music?

  Dave: You can download our EP "deadlines." for free at http://plasticsmiles.bandcamp.com/. We're also gonna be releasing a cover of The Cure's "Boy's Don't Cry" sometime at the end of April. That'll be on itunes.


Is there anyone you would like to give a shout out to?

 Dave: Sure! I'd like to give a shout out to everyone that's supported Plastic Smiles up until this point! I know its been a long time since new music has been released and it feels good to finally have a solid lineup to play shows with. We'd love to meet all of you! -Dave

*Find the band on Twitter: @PlasticSmilesIL

No comments:

Post a Comment